12.28.2016

AOTM // ROO LEWIS


I am very excited to introduce a new series on the blog: Artist of the Month, or AOTM. Each month an artist, along with some of their work, will be featured. This includes any kind of artist, whether they be a photographer, painter, musician, poet, etc. My goal here is to display some amazing talent and inspire anyone who may be reading. First up, Roo Lewis.
all photos featured in this post are by roo lewis.


Roo Lewis is an "advertising and fashion photographer based out of Tottenham, London." He has quite the portfolio, each photo captured being different from the other. I found Lewis through a blog I follow and after seeing his amazing work there, I raced to find out more about him.


The first thing I like about Lewis's work is that it is shot on film. Film always holds more of a story for me. If a photographer chooses to shoot with film, you know they must put in extra effort to get the right shot. The second thing I like about his photos is the simplicity behind each one. Lewis's photos don't ask for attention. They aren't showy or trying to be too original; they simply are what they are and get the job done and the subject across to the audience. Finally, what I like best about Lewis is that his portfolio is varied. He shoots fashion editorials, portraits, and personal, everyday activities. I'm someone who gets bored quickly if I look at someone's portfolio and all the photos look the same. I understand the concept of sticking to a certain style, but when I see an artist branching away from this outdated rule I find it really interesting and exciting. I appreciate artists who try to do something different with their work when they get the chance and I believe Lewis is this kind of artist.


It was a pleasure getting to know more about Lewis and seeing some of his work. The photos featured are only a few of my favorites. If you'd like to check out more of his work, here are links to his website, instagram, and flickr.

Thanks for reading. See you next month with another AOTM.

No comments:

Post a Comment