2.29.2016

THE GREAT OUTDOORS

"You can plan all you want to. You can lie in your morning bed and fill whole notebooks with schemes and intentions. But within a single afternoon, within hours or minutes, everything you plan and everything you have fought to make yourself can be undone as a slug is undone when salt is poured on him. And right up to the moment when you find yourself dissolving into foam you can still believe you are doing fine." - Wallace Stegner, Crossing to Safety

I went hiking yesterday and it felt so freeing. The weather was lovely and wonderful and I was aching to get to the mountains, to the trees, to the birds and the air. I wanted to feel the world. After all, I've been hiding from it for the past few months, shutting myself behind unwelcoming doors that kept the cold out and the warm in. The world, or at least my side of the world, is warming up. I have declared that being barefoot is the only way to be and that the outdoors is the only place to dwell. 

Recently in my English class we read an excerpt from Wallace Stegner's "Wilderness Letter" and it completely inspired me to go feel the wind in my hair and the sun on my face, to race to the mountains and not look back. I have yet to read more of Stegner's work, but Crossing to Safety is definitely at the top of my list, the above quote making the thought of reading it all the more charming. 

Today's post is to climbing trees, to singing to the wilderness, to everything green and beautiful, to anything that calls the ocean it's home and the trees it's hiding place, to the sky and it's ever so quiet trust that we will look up to it day after day. Today's post is to friendship and living in a way that we take nothing for granted, not even the slugs we pour salt on.

With Love,
Sarah 

No comments:

Post a Comment