2.22.2017

AOTM // GEOFF MCFETRIDGE


It's funny how most of the time monthly articles are released at the beginning of each month. In my case, they are not; they always come at the end. I suppose this is my way of being "quirky", but also my way of making an excuse for my own laziness. So, with that being said, here is February's long-awaited artist of the month: Geoff McFetridge.


I first found McFetridge through an online magazine called The Great Discontent. Each edition captures a new and inspiring artist by interviewing them and asking them a variety of questions like "Where did you grow up and how did that influence you as an artist?" "What did you study in college?" and "What advice would you give people who are looking to work in the same field you do?" If you haven't read any stories from this magazine, I highly encourage you to do so. 

While I was researching and finding out more about him, I realized what a massive porfolio McFetridge has accumulated over the last few years. He has produced art for huge brand names like Patagonia, Vans, MTV, Oreo, and more.  

here are some of my favorite commercial pieces (they are black and white, of course)
One of his pieces for Patagonia's Surf Line
One of his titles for "Where the Wild Things Are"
Although McFetridge has done numerous projects for different companies, what really grabbed my attention was his studio art. His simplistic style is evident in his commercial work, but it's truly revealed in his paintings and drawings. I always appreciate when an artist can make something so visually pleasing, without overcomplicating it. I think there is an advantage in simplicity, not only in art, but also in life itself.

here are some of my favorite paintings/drawings
ALL TIME FAVORITE. LOOK AT IT. HIS HEAD IS A RECORD AT THE SAME TIME. LIKE WHAT?!
Geoff McFetridge has quickly become one of my favorite artists due to his simple, yet impactful approach to studio art (I especially suggest looking into his project "Meditallucination"). He seeks to tell a story in a minimal way and I find that so cool and interesting.

McFetridge has also become one of my biggest inspirations. Many times when I think about making a living as an artist, I imagine barely scraping by and always being worried about finding work, and although this is true in many circumstances, McFetridge makes me think otherwise. He's had so many different opportunities to use his art. He's created for books, movies, musicians, magazines, short films, clothing companies and more. Being able to revel in the success of other artists is such a great feeling. Art brings people together. Art makes people think. Art is rad.

If you'd like to check out more of McFetridge's work click here, or here, or here.

Thank you so much for reading February's AOTM! Hope you are having a wonderful humpday!
xx. Sarah.

No comments:

Post a Comment