3.23.2016

TO THE GIRL STRUGGLING WITH BODY IMAGE

My dear sister,

Don't call your body ugly.
Don't call it pretty either.

Call your body strong.
Call it healthy.

My love, don't you see?

Your arms can lift heavy things
And give gentle hugs.

Your legs can run side by side,
Never leaving one another.

Your ears can hear birdsongs from treetops
And wise words from others.

Your nose can remember,
Remember the smell of home and the ones you hold dear.

Your hands can feel.
They can grasp the hands of another,
In love and in friendship.

Your lips can encourage;
They can show happiness and joy.

Your eyes can create,
Painting scenes of towering mountains
And swaying flowers.

You see,

Your body is not defined by what it looks like.
Your body is defined by what it can do-

All it can do.

Once you realize that-
Once you believe your body can do incredible things,

My sister,

Oh, how you will take those strong arms,
Those enduring legs,
And you will fly.

I wrote this poem last night after being inspired by this mastery by Sarah Koppelkam. Thank you for reading my words and giving me the ability to share them. xx. Sarah.

No comments:

Post a Comment